Back pain can be debilitating, and it is among the top complaints most physicians hear from their patients. Nearly 65 million Americans report at least one occurrence of back pain, and nearly 8% of adults complain about this type of pain. It’s also the sixth most costly condition in the U.S. and is responsible for 83 million days of sick time and work loss. If you are one of the many Americans that suffer from ongoing back pain, it’s time to seek relief. Before any invasive procedures, you should seek the advice of an experienced chiropractor, like Dr. Meghan Custer, at Ivy Commons Family Chiropractic in Charlottesville.request an appointment
Common Causes of Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. If you suffer from acute back pain, it can last less than six weeks. Chronic back pain, which lasts three months or more, usually needs tests and imaging reports to see what the issue is and the best course of treatment.
Some common causes of back pain include:
- Muscle strains: Moving or lifting things that are too heavy can lead to muscle strains and back pain.
- Ruptured discs: The discs’ role is to be a cushion between each vertebra in the spine. Often the material inside the disc can rupture and press on a nerve, causing pain.
- Arthritis: In many cases, arthritis can cause the space around the spinal cord to narrow, triggering back pain.
- Scoliosis: Many people have minor cases of scoliosis and never know it until they begin suffering back pain.
- Osteoporosis: If you suffer from osteoporosis, you are at risk of breaking bones anywhere in your body, including your vertebrae, as they can become porous and weak. Back pain is not uncommon in osteoporosis suffers.
- Sports injuries: Playing sports does have its risks and is often the cause of back pain.
Back Pain Treatment from Our Doctor
Our chiropractor takes a whole-body approach and often use a variety of treatment modalities for relieving back pain. Some common therapies used to treat back pain include:
- Spinal manipulation
- Hot/cold therapy
- Massage therapy
- Drop table method
- Stretching and strengthening exercises
- Lifestyle counseling
- Korean Specific Technique
Start Your Back Pain Treatment Plan Today
Call our Ivy Commons Family Chiropractic team in Charlottesville today at (434) 293-2779 to meet with our healthcare professional, Dr. Meghan Custer. She can diagnose the cause of your back pain and develop a back pain treatment plan to give you the relief you deserve.